Sunday, June 12, 2005

Independence day

The Philippines lost its identity when it was colonized by stronger nations. She was helpless and allowed the invaders to rule over her to the point of modifying her culture and way of life. It was not all tragic and ruthless, but it made her adapt and adjust to the coming changes ahead. The tyranny that wrought her breeds in a resilient and mature character. She played along with it, sometimes forgetting who she really was. She was promised a better life, but later on brought in devastation. Her heart was ready to embrace the new, however, their commitments were half-meant. On the day of June 12, more than a century ago, she woke up to her senses and finally found herself and true identity. She is not Spanish, American or Japanese, but a Filipino. Her day of Independence allowed her to rise up and show the world her strength.

Thank God, I did not have to endure centuries of bondage from the enemy, but had a taste of it for a little over 2 months. I willingly gave up my identity when I entered an out-of-the-norm relationship. My life conformed to suit its needs and demands. Initially, it was just performing certain tasks, but later on it involved emotions to the deepest level. I was becoming less of what I was before. I allowed my emotions to tie me down to my partner and got blinded by the affection he showed me. I was floating on air. Without warning, he chose to cut the ties. My face hit rock bottom, including my heart. The world we created is starting to disappear and I don’t know where to go. I tried to give it another try but he is walking farther away. I was broken. Sleepless nights followed that plagued me with thoughts of worthlessness almost stealing my sanity. Then on the day of Independence, a friend who was beside me all the time picked me up from the rubble and reminded me of who I am. A burst of light followed, then the chains that tied me down was broken and melted on the ground. I saw the real world around me and I realized what I was missing. A time spent with family, friends and other important matters were taken granted by me because of the bondage I got in. Now, I’m standing tall and ready to move ahead. It was my identity in Christ and the society I am in that made me rise up. Never again will I allow myself to be stepped on by anybody lesser than me. I will cherish this independence and will fight for it.

Happy Independence Day to all of us.

1 comment:

Beng said...

I'm assuming this is what we are supposed to talk about. Just tell me when, ok?