Thursday, June 02, 2005

Open Sea

Recently, they conquered the highest peak in the Philippines. They are likewise seasoned divers that are well trained and equipped. Every adventure they undertake is carefully planned, with all the necessary gadgets in place. They know the mountain and sea, and show utmost respect to it. In one of their trips, a simple boat ride to go over Boracay Island became what almost became their last ride on earth.

Lea, along with her mountaineer & diver friends, planned to take the cheapest route to Boracay. They set sail on a very small boat that can only carry around 5 people without any baggage. No life vest. Around 6 people rode the “bangca” with their backpacks from their recent mountain trek. They took the ride with little reservation; anyway, it’s only a few hours trip. Little did they know that what is about to take place will mean life & death decisions for each and every passenger.

Several minutes passed and they were off shore. The sea was relatively calm. It was a total adventure. They challenged the vessel & the sea. Suddenly, a wave hit the side of their boat. Few moments later, they were swimming in open sea and the boat they were in was capsized. Everyone was panic-stricken. A head count was done. They all swam back to the overturned vessel and realized the magnitude of the problem. They are now in the middle of nowhere. No visible shoreline. With the sun high up in the morning, there’s no telling north from south. Minutes became hours and still no help was seen. A glimpse of hope came when a large vessel passed by, but despite their shouts of help, they were left unnoticed. However, out of nowhere, a fisherman on his small bangca noticed them from the horizon. His curiosity led him to where they are and to his surprise, a group of helpless individuals were on an overturned boat. A quick decision as to who will go first was made. Self-sacrifice was the name of the game. No guarantees of return or help. Lea chose to stay behind with 3 others.

Their three other companions rode the Good Samaritan’s boat, which is the same size as their own. An attempt to pull their boat was made, put the rope snapped out. It was a futile task. They decided that he would get some help as soon as they reach shore. Little did they know that as they were on their way back they almost overturned. But fortunately, they were able to get help. While Lea and the rest of her companions stayed on the sea, flashbacks of memories of loved ones came to mind. They waited for more than 7 grueling hours without any assurance. Thank God she was able to tell us this life-changing tale.

I guess, my friend Lea is lucky she was able to survive it. Right now, I’m still in open sea. I have been here not only for 7 hours, but several weeks and probably counting. I know the rules and even say it by heart. Probably my self-confidence pushed me to go against it and hopefully get out of it alive. Problem is, I know which direction to take and the shoreline is very much visible, but I chose to stay afloat and row a little bit further. There are times that I change my course and row back to where I came from, but the current is too strong. Good thing the island I set-off is still on sight. I know that this boat ride of mine will not last long, because Someone remains stubborn of His love for me He won’t let go. I may be in the open sea of selfishness, but the boat I’m in is anchored in the shore of His love. I’m hopeful to live and tell the tale.

1 comment:

Beng said...

At last, nagsulat ka na ulit! What a tale. I dread being in her place.Your reflection is quite deep. :-) keep on writing!